18th Discussion-16 Oct 2015
how to record work
This topic arose during the BioInfo-Core workshop at ISMB 2015. This is a very broad topic covering stuff from project management to individual job recording.
some major points we hope to cover:
- how do record your personal work
- how do you keep track of the work done in a collaboration (with a wet-lab)
- how do you track projects in your group / how do you prevent duplication
further points (probably overlapping with stuff discussed above)
- ELN systems (commercial / open source)
- recording analysis with knitr, sweave, ipython, galaxy, others?
- data management
You might also want to read this recent PLOS Comp. Biol. Ten Simple Rules paper:
Ten Simple Rules for a Computational Biologist's Laboratory Notebook
PLOS Comp. Biol., Published: September 10, 2015
BioInfo-Core event 2016
We would like to follow up on a suggestion made at ISMB
- bigger event? (i.e. longer than the usual half-day ISMB workshop)
- outside of ISMB? (if yes, is there another conference we can piggyback? or stand-alone?)
- any volunteers to organize such an event?
- additional 'local' meetings? e.g. BioInfo-Core-Centraleurope, BioInfo-Core-Eastcoast, etc